Leasing a home
Did you know it is free to use a REALTOR if you are looking to lease a property? This free service includes a licensed REALTOR to help you find a long term or short term lease that fits your needs. You typically want to start looking anywhere from 1 week to 45 days prior to your desired move in date. To get started, please provide your UP Realty agent with the answers to the following information:
1. Do you have any pets? If so – what kind?
2. What area of town are you looking to live in?
3. When are you looking to move?
4. What is your monthly budget for rent?
5. # of bedrooms…bathrooms?
6. Gather funds for a security deposit (usually equal to one month’s rent) and pet deposits (if needed).
7. Please start gathering proof of income – whether that be in the form of paystubs or bank statements (2 months worth is sufficient). This is REQUIRED to turn in with your application to lease any property.
The landlord will pay the agent’s commission. Since finding a place to lease is a free service, please be courteous to your agent and only hire them if you intend to complete the transaction with them. Agents work on a commission only basis – so they don’t get compensated for their time and work until the lease goes through.
The lease process
- Look at homes with your UP Realty agent and select your top 2 or 3 favorites.
- Submit an application on your chosen home and pay necessary app fees and deposits. These are most always required to be in the form of cashier’s checks or money orders.
- You will need to provide copies of your driver license and any financial information to support the disclosures on the application (i.e. paystubs or bank statements).
- The landlord will process the application and perform a credit check and background check. *this is typical, but not always performed.
- The application fee is NON REFUNDABLE no matter if you are approved or denied.
- Upon approval, you will schedule an appointment with the landlord, listing agent or your agent to sign the lease.